Friday, October 20, 2017

Intentions

We often hear the expression "your actions define you". Is that a true statement? This is one of the questions that I can argue with myself forever and still would not be able to neither agree nor disagree with it.

I once had a fireside chat with a friend about life purpose and what happens after the death. We looked at it from Christianity, Buddhism, and science points of view. Finally, he said "What if starting tomorrow I'll begin giving some money every beggar I see. Would those actions earn me a good karma or a place in heaven?"  What he said didn't sound right to me. At that moment I realized that behind each action there is an intention. This realization changed my perception in many areas of life.

If I rephrase the saying "your actions define you" into "your INTENTIONS define you", then I can't argue with that anymore. The problem with actions is that they can be done on purpose to mislead you. You can use actions to lie even to yourself. Looking into your own intentions is like taking the mask off and seeing a pure truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment