Thursday, October 19, 2017

What do you say when you say "I am ..." ?

When you present yourself to someone else with the "I am", you'll probably mention one of the masks you wear or one of the roles you play in social games. You might say "I'm a salesperson" or "I'm a mom of 3 children". This is interesting, but ...

... what do you say when you say "I am ..." to yourself in your head?  I bet it's something related to how you feel at the moment i.e. something like "I'm tired, happy, hungry, full, excited, scared, cold". What about the situation when something went wrong - you failed an exam or your business deal falls through? In this case, you might say "I'm such a failure". This is where it gets interesting because a statement like this represents a belief. Otherwise, why would you say something like that to yourself, not someone else but yourself, if you don't believe it?

Beliefs are very powerful. They are walls around you. They limit your possibilities. They dictate what you can and what you cannot achieve in your life.

If you are on a quest to identify your beliefs, I challenge you to watch your "I am" statements and see what comes out. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment